A Western Hills suburb, Normandale opened for settlement in 1901. The area developed rather haphazardly until incorporation with Lower Hutt in 1957. It was then that the provision and upgrading of services and roads allowed for further development of the area.
Today, Normandale is best described as a bush clad hillside suburb with a mixture of old and new housing. It is located within a five minutes drive of Lower Hutt’s main shopping district via the Normandale Road bridge.